Melissa Swanson – 1st Woman in the Americas to Break 150 in 24kg Snatch
Ice Chamber Kettlebell Girl, Master of Sport International Class, Melissa Swanson has done what has been seemingly impossible for women to do since the inception of Kettlebell Sport in the Americas. She has officially broken the 150 rep barrier in the 24kg snatch.
With 153 reps (the absolute Americas record) achieved on February 6th at the 2016 AKA/IUKL West Coast Classic Kettlebell Sport Championships, Melissa now joins the ranks of about dozen women in the world who can claim they have hit the gold standard of 150 reps or more in a nationally governed sanctioned competition. This group of crème de la crème includes:
1. Ksenia Dedukhina (Chelyabinsk, Russia) Absolute world record holder
2. Anastasia Zolotareva (Tomsk, Russia)
3. Olga Yaremenko (Omsk, Russia)
4. Alexandra Vasileva (Saint Petersburg, Russia)
5. Tatiana Potemkina (Timertau, Kazakhstan)
6. Natalia Barbakova (Obinsk, Russia)
7. Abigail Johnston (Glasgow, Scotland)
8. Oxasana Sarvarova (Chelyabinsk, Russia)
9. Marina Makedonskikh (Chelyabinsk, Russia)
10. Irina Myakisheva (Chelyabinsk, Russia)
11. Tatiana Ivanenko (Tomsk, Russia)
12. Alina Vaskina (Smolensk, Russia)
13. Melissa Swanson (El Cerrito, CA, USA)
14. Natalia Gorbonova (Omsk, Russia)
Melissa is now the only woman in the Americas to join the “150 reps Club in 24kg snatch”, and one of only two women in the world to do so outside of Eastern Europe (primarily Russia).
We are extremely proud of Melissa’s achievements, her hard work, perseverance, and dedication!